What are the benefits of green schoolyards?
Learn more about the research on benefits of school gardens, outdoor classrooms, green schoolyards, natural areas, and more. Studies show that nature has a positive impact on children's mental and physical well-being. Spending time outdoors and learning through hands-on experiences can also lead to improved academic outcomes. Explore these resources and make the case for greening your schoolyard:
- The "Austin School Garden Report" documents best practices for maintaining a prosperous school garden and evaluates the use of gardens across 109 public schools in Austin.
- National Wildlife Federation's report: "Back to School: Back Outside!"
- Sustainable Food Center's Summary of Research
- Central Texas School Garden Network
- Children & Nature Network
- The Green Institute in Minneapolis' document, The Multiple Benefits of Gardening